Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fun Time! @ Veranda Bar & Grill

Last night I cooked @ Veranda Bar & Grill and had a blast! A small kitchen but, clean and pretty organized. Cooking in this kitchen reminded me of my day's at Pesce in Dupont Circle. Small, hot, fast moving, the personification of a dinner service.
My contribution was a special, penne pasta with Loukaniko, wild mushrooms, fresh herbs and cream. Loukaniko is the greek word for sausage. This sausage had fennel and orange peel in it which made it nicely sweet. All that had it, enjoyed it, so I was pleased.
The menu at Veranda is small and primarily Mediterranean with an emphasis on Greek mezze. The regular menu items I cooked were, Pan sauteed trout which was stuffed with herbs and served with potatoes, carrots and green beans with a toasted pine nut beurre noisette.
Grilled hangar steak with fingerling potatoes confited in evoo, garlic and thyme with a red wine and mushroom sauce.
Gambas al Ajillo. Shrimp sauteed in garlic, lemon, white wine and dill.
Lamb sliders on brioche buns with tzatziki and fries.
As well as a few others off the menu. I had a great time preparing with the staff and cooking with all of them. Great bunch of girlz and guys. Kitchen folk are a special breed and I have always been proud to be a part of that group of people. We are tough. We have to be.

No comments: